Saturday, March 17, 2007

Princesses peas and pets



One afternoon, bleak and too cold to go outside after weathering a week which included a 70 degree day and a Friday with freezing rain and sleet, I am surfing the web and lo and behold I find this portraitist who will embed your child in a fairytale. Take a look at some of these images. I had just finished reading Lauren Child's version of The Princess and the Pea which I love because she uses paper dolls and elaborate miniature settings to tell the story. Since I have always had an affinity for all things pea (especially George and Martha's split pea soup story) I would choose this princess story as my own. She's not frilly or icked out by spiders and she's nice and smart. The other princess I really like is the star of Princess Smartypants
by Babette Cole. This princess has a way of dealing with suitors which almost undoes her. This is a princess who loves her pets more than the possibilty of a suitable marriage. I think I might try 2ndgenlibrarian's storytelling technique with the Princess and the Pea story with my next school visit using picture prompts to have them tell the story, or at least their version of it.

No comments: