Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year Resolutions

In an effort to ensure my grip on children's literature despite my recent defection to Adult Reference librarianship I have decided to host a mock award election at my home this weekend. We will be voting for Newbery, Caldecott, and Sibert awards. Here are the lists:

CALDECOTT

The Apple Pie that Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson. ill Jonathan Bean
Mary and the Mouse, the Mouse and Mary by Beverly Donofrio ill. Barbara McClintock
Wind Flyers by Angela Johnson ill. Loren Long
17 Things I'm Not Allowed to do Anymore by Jenny Offill
The Wall by Peter Sis
Psst! by Adam Rex
Little Night by Yuyi Morales
600 Black Spots by David Carter

NEWBERY
Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell out of a tree by Lauren Tarshis
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
No Talking by Andrew Clements
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! voices from a medieval city by Laura Amy Schlitz

SIBERT
Deep in the Swamp by Donna M. Bateman ill Brian Lies
One Well: the story of water on earth by Rochelle Strauss ill. Rosemary Woods
Skyscraper by Lynn Curlie
Old Penn Station by William Low
Tracking Trash: flotsam, jetsam, and the science of ocean motion by Loree Griffin Burns

Now I have to tell you that I pulled a fast one the other day when I moved one book from the Sibert list to the Newbery list. It will I think shake things up a bit. The reason: while reveiewing the eligibilty criteria for the Sibert I found that "poetry" and "traditional literature" will not be eligible. Now I am not sure what "traditional literature" is, but I sure as shootin' know what poetry is so I decided that Good Masters!! Sweet Ladies though not poetry is close enough to warrant the change. I am re-reading as many on these lists as I can before Sunday the 6th. I will post the results after the 6th and before the ALA announcement.

No comments: